miércoles, 22 de octubre de 2008

I went to Catholic School (thus the blog title, sorry internet pervs):

And despite leaving with a sneaking suspicion that I might end up it hell, it was a relatively positive experience, kind of. The friends and memories I made during the twelve years of my Catholic education will accompany me forever, which I guess makes up for the fact that I was forced to attend terrifying anti-choice rallies, whilst listening on a weekly basis to rants about the dangers of Islam and feminism. In all honesty, I actually credit the development of my critical thinking skills to the time I spent trying to figure how exactly it was that praying to Mary, was somehow the equivalent of having Jesus on speed-dial...but I digress...my selected topic of discussion for today is the A-word, yes abortion, which I know is a black and white issue for pro-choice and pro-life people alike, but I´d like to suggest a middle ground.

First of all, I honestly believe that nobody is pro-killing babies, and that when you throw talk like that into any discussion about abortion your´re basically asking for a fistfight. The prochoice argument is simple: women should be able to decide about what goes on with their bodies. To put it more simply: the government cannot legislate inside womens' uteruses (which I think seems fair).

Now as a practicing Catholic, I personally believe that life begins at conception. So if I were to be in a situation involving an unplanned pregnancy I would CHOOSE to have the baby. However, my positition comes from my faith, which has also taught me about the importance of tolerance and accepting other worldviews . In America, we have this thing called the seperation of church and state. This means that moral arguments that are couched in religious justifications have absolutely no place in the law. Moreover, since most abortions take place when fetuses aren´t viable (i.e. when they depend 100 percent on the woman that is carrying them for their life) it is legally impossible to grant them protection under the law.

More importantly, I promise you that John McCain is not going to do anything to erode what is perceived by some as America's longheld pro-choice tradition. Keep in mind that in the last eight years Bush has appointed two new Supreme Court justices, and still, no progress has been made in overturning Roe v. Wade. The abortion issue is a bootstrap that allows Repblicans to appeal to voters who would never actually benefit fom a majority of their policies.

No hay comentarios: